In the 19th century, the area that would become Belmont-Hillsboro was part of the estates of Adelicia Acklen (Belmont) and Colonel A. B. Montgomery. The oldest sections of the neighborhood were subdivided in 1890 and 1891. In 1901, the Belmont Land Company secured a franchise to operate a street railway line along Belmont Boulevard, accelerating the development of the area as a “street car suburb”. Development would continue for several decades, with some of the more southerly portions of the neighborhood developed about 1940.
Changes in tastes over this span of time resulted in recognizable changes in architectural styles. The mix of bungalows, cottages, American foursquares and tudors are common, though you will find examples of the prairie, eclectic revival and more contemporary styles as well. The neighborhood became the home of a large middle-class population, reflecting the average American lifestyle from 1890 to 1940.
In the 21st century, the housing of the neighborhood exhibits a variety of architectural styles as well as size, thereby suiting a range of families and lifestyles. The process of home renovation and restoration continues today, the sum of which, along with a wonderfully central location in Davidson County, have helped the area become a very desirable Nashville address. Belmont-Hillsboro is conveniently located just south of Downtown Nashville and is within minutes of Belmont University, Vanderbilt University, Sevier Park, hospitals, Hillsboro Village, 12South, and Green Hills Mall.